Thursday, October 13, 2011

Reflection 6

I just taught about STL 6.

I like hearing all of the feedback that is given, not just to me, but to everyone.  There's so much room for improvement.

I have been thinking that I need to start a teaching notebook, of suggestions and helpful hints, that I can pull out occasionally during my first years to make sure that I am being a good teacher.

Today we had a quiz about the Moral Dimensions of learning.  I want to reflect on those a little bit.

Here they are:


1.  Enculturating the young in a social and political democracy
Foster in the nation’s young the skills, dispositions, and knowledge necessary for effective participation in a social and political democracy

2.  Providing access to knowledge for all children and youth
Ensure that the young have access to those understandings and skills required for satisfying and responsible lives

3.  Practicing a nurturing pedagogy (the art and science of teaching)
Develop educators who nurture the learning and well-being of every student

4.  Ensuring responsible stewardship of schools
Ensure educators’ competence in and commitment to serving as stewards of schools

And now a bit of reflection on numbers 1 and 4:
1.  I think that this could possibly be my favorite moral dimension.  I love it because it encourages people to be contributing members of society.  Not only is it important for us to make sure that we are informed about laws and different things happening in our community but it is our responsibility to be law abiding citizens.  It reminds me of something we talked about in Relief Society the other day.  It was about the commandment to multiply and replenish the Earth.  The commandment isn't just to multiply, but it is to multiply AND REPLENISH the Earth.  We talked about how it is our responsibility to make sure that we are bringing children into this world who are of substance, who are of value.  People who can contribute to society.  I heard Sister Beck say once that she wanted to make sure that she was raising children who could talk, she wanted to be able to have children who she enjoyed talking to and having conversations with.

4.  This is also an important thing to remember.  My husband had a professor here at BYU who said that we need to make sure that we are getting the most out of our BYU experience because part of our tuition is paid by tithing from members of our church.  He said make this experience worth while for that widow in Chili who has 6 kids who is scrimping and barely making it, but who is 100% faithful in paying her tithing.  Learn all you can!  If not for you, for her!

This is how we should feel when we are teaching.  It is our responsibility to keep out schools clean, to keep our students clean, and to teach them as much as we can.



No comments:

Post a Comment