Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Reflection 4

This last week I went to American Fork Junior High School to observe Jess Carter.  The first class he taught was Manufacturing Metals.  The students were working on completing a sheet metal tool box.  The second class he taught was Principles of Engineering.

Jess's teaching style was so different from David Myer's, who I observed last week.  Jess was much more laid back, where as David was, as I mentioned militaristic.

One thing that I thought was interesting was that Jess told us that because he teaches as AFJHS instead of any other junior high in the Alpine School District, he makes $10,000 more a year, which as a starting teacher is a big deal.  This is because AFJHS is a larger school so he has more classes and students than the other junior highs.  The interesting part though is that David Myer's classes had more students than Jess's classes.  But Jess did say that he does have one less planning period than most teachers in the district.

Even though Jess seemed more laid back, his class actually seemed more in control.  This was so interesting to me.  After thinking about it for a while I decided that it could be because his lab was much cleaner.  The table tops were all empty, each tool had a place (and they were in their place).  It made it easier to scan the entire class.  It also could be because, like I said there were fewer students, or it could be because the students had been taught more thoroughly.

Jess's first class was 9th graders who were very much under controlled, whereas his 8th grade class was off the walls.  That was also interesting to me.  It was interesting to see Jess in a situation were he could be laid back because his students were calm, and then compare it to him disciplining his 8th grade students.  I'm glad I was able to observe two different classroom management styles, from the same teacher.

No comments:

Post a Comment