Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Reflection 5

This week I visited Maple Mountain to observe Amber Lewis.  I was able to see her teach two periods of video.  The first period was a more advanced class, they produced the daily announcements.  The second class was a beginner video class.

The first period was madness!  There were kids everywhere, running around, the classroom was loud....but everything that needed to get accomplished was.  The announcements were finished on time and it all turned out great.  I think one strength that Amber has is that she is able to preform well under pressure.  She was still able to manage her classroom even though to me it looked like chaos.  The students also seemed to know their stuff.  They were making 30 second films, editing them, exporting them, and getting them to the switcher in less than an hour.  It would take our video class, IN COLLEGE days to do this!  (I know we were expected to produce a much higher quality...but still!)

I was really glad that I was able to see her teach her second class because it was much different than the first.  During the second class she was lecturing.  She had prepared a powerpoint, and an activity to teach the students about the different types of shots in cinematography.  I could tell that she had spent time preparing the lecture and thought about what would be a good way to present the material.  I was disappointed about the outcome though because I felt like the students weren't paying attention as much as they should have been.

I'm not sure what I can take from this, except that I need to make sure to have a good behavior management system, and to not get discouraged if lessons don't go as well as planned and to use everything as feedback for next time.  Amber didn't get discouraged that the students were being a little talkative, she would just ask them to stop.

No comments:

Post a Comment