Thursday, October 27, 2011

Refection 8

On Tuesday I went back to Maple Mountain High School, but this time to observe Tyler Lewis.  He was teaching a Photography class and they were preparing for a test.  He showed them a simple powerpoint presentation to review the information they had been learning this semester.  It seemed like most of the students were able to recall the information.  He also went over some new information.

I don't know Tyler very well but it doesn't seem like he is an overly outgoing person.  He seems a little reserved but he was still able to control the classroom, I think the students respected him and therefore gave him their attention.  After the presentation he handed out the review sheet and they had some time to work on it.  He walked around the room answering questions.

In a basic photo class like his, and with his budget, not many of the students were able to use DSLRs.  He taught mostly about composition with Point-and-Shoot cameras.

Today in class we taught again.  During one of the lessons I started thinking about stage presence.  I know I mentioned this in a previous reflection but there are certain people who get up and teach and from the second they start, I am rooting for them.  I want them to do their best.  I like their style and I can't get enough of their lesson.  What makes me like a lesson from the beginning or hate a lesson from the beginning?  I think it has to do with presence and how I think they feel about me.  I can tell they want me to understand what they're teaching, they have high expectations for me as their student.  How can I apply this to my teaching?  This ties back to the moral dimensions of learning.  It particularly has to do with this one: Practicing a nurturing pedagogy (the art and science of teaching); Develop educators who nurture the learning and well-being of every student.  Whenever I read this I just think that it ultimately has to do with love, be a loving caring teacher.  Be an educator who nurtures.  Be invested in their learning.  Be invested in their education.  It is your responsibility that they learn and become good people.

I just hope (after my nerves calm down) that I can be a nurturing teacher, care for the student's well being.  

No comments:

Post a Comment